Skip to main content

To Team or Not to Team

    When working in a team you must all communicate and have mutual interests and expectations of a project to get to the end result. When working independently you are on your own, you don’t have to worry about disagreements and working towards a solution with other people. Depending on who you are, as to what you like and your personality, you know if you would work better by yourself or with a group of people.

    When looking at peer’s social media accounts you can only predict what they like, and predict their personality based on their Instagram highlights and posts because what you see on social media isn’t everything. There are misconceptions about social media and there is always something you don’t know about a person, but you can get a good idea based on the types of things they post. The person that I reviewed seems to be outgoing, chill, and laid-back, they like to hangout with their friends and have a good time. I would consider working with this person because I too, like to hang out with friends and have a good time, but I am not the most outgoing person when it comes to meeting new people. I am the kind of person who is super shy at first and then outgoing once I’m comfortable around the person. Working with a team on the Lost at Sea: team-building activity gave me an idea of whether I would want to work with a team or by myself. The team activity went well because we had an extrovert as the leader who did most of the talking as to initiating conversation. We all contributed when deciding what to rank items at, but we didn’t really talk much unless the leader asked us where we ranked items and reassuring that the ranking for the team was okay. Working with a team goes well when you know each other and you’re comfortable with the other people in the group because it makes things easier when deciding things, making the group successful.

    In the article, Team building and group dynamics…, by Becker, he explains the five behaviors of a cohesive team, these are trust, conflict, commitment, accountability, and results. Within a team you need these five behaviors to be successful because even with the smartest people and best technology, without togetherness the team will not work says Becker. When working in a team you have to ensure that all team members can get along and work together or the team will run into problems and won’t get the project done. In addition, the article, The Effect of Personality on Team Performance, explains the multiple different factors and personality types that make up a team and how these factors make the team successful or unsuccessful. The author goes into detail of these factors that come from specific personalities, including, effective leadership, cohesion amongst the team, and communication. With these factors, the team is motivated and committed, leading to high levels of performance and more innovative solutions. Working in a cohesive team can relief a lot of stress and lower the workload.

    I have decided to work independently on this project because I am a bit of a perfectionist and if things aren’t done the correct way, it bothers me. I like things particular and working independently allows me to do the project how I would like. I would have liked to work with my friend, but she is in a different class period, so I will be working alone on my magazine. Working alone allows me to do the magazine exactly the way I like it without having to apply the likings of others to the project except my audience. There is no problem with communicating with others to come up with solutions for the project but with working alone I can work at my own pace and get things done quicker.   

             

             

Comments